Foiled by weather!

May 1, 2014:

Just a quick note to say that I’m back from Russia, and that for the first time in this project we had to turn back from the summit because of bad weather. We had gotten as far as high camp when the forecast called for tempertures of -37C and winds of 50km/h and more. Brrr..!

It seemed safest to head down given the outlook. Back-up plans are in place though. Fortunately Elbrus is one of the most affordable volcanoes to climb and I will be returning in early June under my own steam. It’s also the very last one, so I’m determined to complete the Seven Volcanoes project. This means it would be done in 5 months rather than 4, which would still be an unofficial record. Until then, many prayers to the weather gods are in order…